Technology and Data Governance Specialist (Hybrid)
The DC Bar Foundation is the leading funder of civil legal aid in the District of Columbia. We are committed to the vision that residents of the District have equal access to justice, regardless of income. Our mission is to fund, support, and improve the legal representation of people who are financially disenfranchised or who are otherwise underserved in the District of Columbia.
We believe that everyone should have access to justice regardless of wealth, knowledge, or power. We seek to be community-rooted, led by the voices of those most impacted by our decisions. We believe in working collaboratively and demonstrating mutual respect for each other’s capacities, contributions, and ideas. We believe that we must work within ourselves, our networks, and our institutions to challenge racism with each decision we make. Finally, we believe in Team. It’s not just about getting the work done; it’s about HOW you get it done.
The DC Bar Foundation seeks a full-time Technology and Data Governance Specialist to optimize its technological capabilities, enhance data management practices, and harness the power of technology and data to drive its mission forward effectively. The ideal candidate can oversee and optimize technology platforms and will ensure DCBF leverages the latest tools and practices to support its mission effectively. They will provide the expertise to establish data governance practices, ensure data integrity, and derive meaningful insights from DCBF data assets.
The Technology and Data Governance Specialist is a newly established staff position and will be a hands-on execution role. Previously, DDCB has contracted with multiple vendors to support its technology needs. This position is being established to develop and maintain in-house Salesforce and data management expertise and to provide technology supports to DCBF staff and external users for its Salesforce applications and data systems.
To ensure a professional, team-oriented work environment while promoting effective operations, the ideal candidate demonstrates excellent leadership and time management skills, the ability to coach and train staff, and good judgment to handle sensitive matters with confidentiality and discretion. Required technical skills include expertise in Salesforce, the Foundation’s CRM, grant making and life cycle management software, as well as other technology platforms that support the Foundation’s work, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Give Lively, and Mail Chimp.
Primary Job Duties
The Technology and Data Governance Specialist will be responsible for strategically managing the Foundation’s technology platforms and overall data health. The job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advise on and implement a comprehensive technology strategy aligned with DCBF’s goals and objectives.
- Manage the integration of current and new technology platforms, ensuring seamless operation and user adoption.
- Design, build, maintain and optimize the organization's data management processes, including data collection, storage, analysis, and reporting.
- Check in with users, executives, and key stakeholders on a regular schedule to gather feedback, identify opportunities for improvement, and advocate for data-centric business practices.
- Identify and analyze operational challenges across departments and design and implement process improvements.
- Create and manage an internal data governance committee to collaborate with DCBF teams, identifying data requirements and implementing data governance practices to ensure data quality and security.
- Advise on policies on acceptable methods for reporting results and presenting findings to stakeholders.
- Manage Information Technology needs for the office in partnership with IT contractors.
User Education and Support
- Conduct in-house training for other staff as needed on how to properly use the system including clean data entry and reporting.
- Support program staff with use of Salesforce and other data collection tools and ensure that technological issues are resolved promptly.
- Identify and facilitate the sharing of best practices related to data collection, maintenance, and analysis, and actively communicate these practices across departments.
- Train DCBF staff on how to use Salesforce and how to build, use and interpret reports.
- Train staff on use of analytical tools, including reports and dashboards.
- Keep abreast of new Salesforce features, functionality, and integrations to provide recommendations for process improvements.
- Design and implement data governance processes and controls to ensure data accuracy, completeness, consistency, and security.
- Design, build, and maintain data models, data connections, data transformations and end-to-end data life-cycle management across the DCBF technology platforms/applications.
- Configure and manage integration, maintenance, and adoption of analytical tools including reports and dashboards.
- Develop and manage a system for regular and timely response to user requests and questions related to reports.
- Determine how best to utilize external consultants in effectively managing data-related projects.
System Administration and Optimization
- Serve as the primary system administrator for the Foundation’s Salesforce.com environment.
- Build out, maintain, and grow DCBF’s Salesforce environment, with special emphasis on automating processes whenever possible.
- Extensively test all configuration, custom development, and integrations.
- Maintain the Salesforce platform data integrity, overall health, and provide day-to-day end-user support, both internal and external.
- Manage and implement Salesforce enhancements and new configuration features including, but not limited to fields, page layouts, record types, dynamic layout, apps, custom settings, dashboard, and reports.
- Identify and configure integration of Salesforce third-party applications including DocuSign and Tableau.
- Create Salesforce user policies and procedures to improve system usability.
- A solid understanding of Salesforce configuration and nonprofit business processes. Salesforce Certified Administrator preferred.
- Must be able to exercise autonomy as the resident Salesforce expert, as well as serve as a team player.
- In-depth understanding of data modeling, data warehousing and data transformation techniques.
- Ability to adapt to a changing technology landscape and quickly learn new systems and technologies.
- Proven experience in technology strategy development and implementation.
- Strong knowledge of data management principles, practices, and tools.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Highly organized, responsible, and attentive to timelines and details.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively and enthusiastically with stakeholders at all levels.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a new and developing position managing DCBF’s data environment and systems technical, support and leadership capacity. If you believe you have the skills and experience to ensure DCBF’s systems and its users are equipped to manage relevant processes in each of these areas but feel the title and/or salary are incompatible, we encourage you to apply so we can discuss your ideas. Both title and salary modifications will be considered for the right candidate.
We believe in paying fairly and competitively. To execute this, we utilize a strategic compensation review process to determine starting pay rates as well as annual adjustments. The hiring range for this position is $80,000 to $90,000, with some flexibility to move above the hiring range based on experience and qualifications. Decisions regarding everyone’s compensation are made using a holistic analysis of market rates, experience, competencies, education, performance, internal equity, annual budget, and economic state.
We also believe in supporting employees’ professional development, health and wellness, and work/life balance. Our benefits include health insurance, medical and dependent care FSAs, 401(k) retirement plan with match, commuter assistance, home office allowance, summer hours, professional development allowance, and generous paid time off.
The DC Bar Foundation is part of the WeWork community located at 200 Massachusetts Avenue in Northwest DC. You’ll be expected to work remotely and within the office space. The work involves frequent use of computers, phones, and virtual meeting platforms, such as MS Teams and Zoom. The role may require periodic work outside of regular business hours, as well as occasional local travel.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job safely and successfully, including meeting productivity standards. All employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is made based on a protected status. Persons with mental and physical disabilities are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position.
The DC Bar Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Submit your resume and cover letter outlining how your qualifications align with the requirements for this position. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. No calls or emails please.
Initial review of applications will be conducted January 18, 2024.